Valentine’s Day is a waste of a holiday

alentine’s Day: the most pointless day of the year. It is simply a ploy for couples to argue over whether to buy gifts and where to go for dinner, and for single people to mope over how miserable their single lives are.

I find no need for a day in the year for someone to tell me they love me. Why should you treat me differently on just one day when a surprise day would be far more thoughtful? The whole holiday is a scam.

It makes people stress unnecessarily, causes breakups and very rarely goes by smoothly. In fact, it can be a very deceptive day. V-Day should never be your first date with someone. There is too much pressure. It is not a good idea. Just don’t do it. It could trick you into thinking you actually care about each other when really you were both using each other so you wouldn’t be sitting at home miserable and lonely, watching stupid movies and groaning about your failing love life.

No one wants to hear it. The game is getting old. Valentine’s has just become an excuse for pining singles to complain and couples to be nauseatingly touchy in public. I would rather vomit than go sit in an overcrowded restaurant filled with annoying couples.

The biggest point I have not yet mentioned is that it is simply a consumer holiday. There is no meaning behind it other than for stores to scam you into buying some phony jewelry, chocolates that will likely be thrown out and adorable teddy bears that will become dog chew toys as soon as the couple breaks up.

So here’s my suggestion for Valentine’s Day: Treat it like any other day and if you are really that miserable being single, get off your can and do something about it. Have a nice dinner with friends if you just can’t stand to be alone and don’t want to wallow in your own self pity. And for the couples out there, stop being obnoxious. Don’t do the typical chocolates, teddy bears and jewelry. Don’t observe it and do something completely random another time. Stop expecting, start surprising.

Happy freaking Valentine’s Day.

Jenny Hamilton is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism and sports administration. She may be contacted at jhamilton@themiamihurricane.com.