V's Take

Dear V: I don’t want meddlers…

I have a problem. My family, while very loving, has a tendency to meddle a little too much in my life. They have the best intentions, but sometimes it’s tough to handle. And now I have this girl I really like at school and I want to fill them in, but I don’t know how to tell my family without them getting all into my business. What can I do?

Sincerely,

In Need of Space

Dear Space Case,

I can understand where you are coming from. Like you, my lovely parents have been known to get overly involved in my life. It’s great that they want to be involved, but sometimes I just need to do things on my own, without their input. I mean, we are young adults after all, ruling the school, being the wonderful badass geniuses we are, getting it done. We should be able to do things without our family questioning and meddling their lives away.

However, I will tell you, the older I get, the more I appreciate my parents’ semi-nosey behavior. It shows that they love me and care even with me living in Miami, far away from their prized offspring who is no longer the center of their world. Yes, yes I will even call bullshit on myself with that one.

As much as you may think you are the only thing your parents focus on, I can assure you that you’re not. They have jobs, bills and their wellbeing to think of too. They love you and you mean everything to them, but you are not it on a stick. So give your family a little more credit. In the midst of their busy lives they want to remain close to you and know what is important to you. So tell them!

I have learned to not tell them every detail of my Thursday through Saturday nights, but I most certainly tell them about the important things in my life, especially the people that are vital to my sanity. If you’re seriously concerned, then give your family the bare minimum of details. Explain that once your situation with the special lady becomes more serious, more information will be divulged. It’s a perfect compromise and they will be thrilled that you are willing to share your life with them.

In the meantime, Valentine’s Day is fast approaching. Wine, dine, schmooze your woman. Have a great time you lovebirds.

With love,

To all my readers, Happy Valentine’s Day, spend it with someone special. <3

Advice Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...