News Briefs

The Rat’s  Birthday

The Rathskeller will be celebrating its 38th birthday on Thursday. The Rathskeller Advisory Board will be having giveaways and distributing free birthday cake from noon to 2 p.m. and free photo keychains and custom Rathskeller license plates from 2 to 6 p.m.

WVUM Gets Woodie NOM

University of Miami radio station WVUM “the Voice,” has made it to the top 25 in consideration for an mtvU Woodie Award for the best college radio station in the United States. The top 10 nominees for the award will be revealed Thursday on mtvU’s Web site, where voting will be open to the public. The awards will air March 16 at midnight on MTV, MTV2 and mtvU.

Business Expo

The Iota Nu chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. will be hosting a black business expo on Feb. 16 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the UC Lower Lounge. The event will feature 10 to 20 small black-owned businesses and professionals specializing in new business expansion and growth. For more information, contact m.franks2@umiami.edu.

Krispy Kreme Fundraiser

The UM Petitioning Group of Alpha Phi Omega is hosting a Krispy Kreme Doughnut Presale until Feb. 18. Each box of a dozen doughnuts is $8 and will be delivered from 8:30 to 10 a.m. on Feb. 21. There will be limited boxes for sale on Feb. 21. E-mail your order to Ruby Hernandez at umalphaphiomega@gmail.com.

Apply to be a Fellow

Applications to become an Orientation Fellow for the Fall 2011 Orientation are available at miami.edu/orientation and will be due on Feb. 16 at 5 p.m. Fellows will assist in welcoming new students and will lead a group of students through the orientation experience.

Alexandra Leon and Alysha Khan may be contacted at asstnews@themiamihurricane.com.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...