Sweating it out with yoga

Senior and Bikram Yoga Club President Carl Gardner poses with Charlotte Wyrick, a freshman studying nursing, near Lake Osceola Wednesday. Bikram is a technique that uses heat to stretch the body and calm the mind. Marlena Skrobe// Photoeditor

UM senior Carl Gardner was an ultimate tri-athlete until he hurt his knees. Luckily, he found a hot new way to exercise.

Gardner started the UM Bikram Yoga Club last fall after suffering multiple knee injuries from running. He no longer has to worry about the impact to his knees while running on pavement and Bikram has improved his flexibility and breathing.

“After running for so many years, my knees finally gave in,” Gardner said. “I needed to find an alternative route to exercise and Bikram was the perfect fit.”

Bikram is a yoga technique practiced in a a room that is at least 105 degrees Fahrenheit. The average Bikram yoga routine takes about 90 minutes.

Although it may seem a little extreme, UM club members like to increase the heat.

“Sweating is good in this practice,” said Edith Freni, the club’s faculty adviser and a lecturer in the theater arts program. “We like it at least 105 degrees if not more.”

The heat is important because it makes the body soft and flexible. Also, when you sweat, impurities are flushed out of the body through the skin. Bikram devotees say it can have positive effects on the mind.

“Yoga actually becomes addicting,” junior Meaghan Gayner said. “I think the reason why people love it so much is because of the way you feel after. I feel totally calm and ready to take on any challenge that lies ahead.”

Gayner and other members of the club meet several times a week at Bikram Hot Yoga Miami in Coconut Grove. There are currently 30 members who participate in the club.

Brittany Weiner may be contacted at bweiner@themiamihurricane.com.

If you go:

WHERE: 2500 SW 28 Ln., Coconut Grove

Classes are 90 minutes long.

Mon.-Fri. at 9:30 a.m., 4:30 and 6:30 p.m., Sat. and Sun. at 9:30 a.m and 4:30 p.m.

A single lesson is $25. Ten lessons within 30 days is $140.

For more information log on to miamibikram.com.

Brittany Weiner

Contributing Sports Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...