Electric Pickle revives 1940s Chicago

Electric Pickle Company’s newest room, the El Bolero Room, was inspired by post-war Chicago speakeasies and officers’ clubs.  Courtesy Electric Pickle

The Wynwood Arts District is heating up with the Electric Pickle Company’s newest room, the El Bolero Room.

Mark Alan Diaz of MAD Design Group collaborated with Electric Pickle owners William Renuart and Tomas Ceddia to design a room inspired by the post-war semblance of Chicago speakeasies and 1940s officers’ clubs.

Diaz was raised on anecdotes of his grandparents tearing up the dance floor in the 1940s at a club in Miami called El Bolero. This provided the inspiration to design a new, hipper version of the Electric Pickle’s second floor, clad with family heirlooms as decorations.

“The room is full of refurbished materials- wood used from the original building, decorations that came from consignment stores- we wanted to take the green approach, and use materials that were recycled, then revamped to look trendy and cool,” said Inbal Lankry, the marketing director for the Pickle.

The Electric Pickle and the El Bolero Room are open to clubgoers ages 21 and over. The El Bolero Room is open Fridays and Saturdays, as well as three Thursdays of every month. On Friday, the Elecric Pickle Company will be hosting its two-year anniversary with beats spinning in the El Bolero Room from the likes of Carl Craig and Mr. C, both internationally renowned DJs. The Electric Pickle always hosts an array of live music, with past acts including Spam All-Stars and Mount Kimbie, as well as other local independent bands and DJs.

Although El Bolero Room is only available at the end of the week, the first floor of the Electric Pickle is open from Wednesday to Saturday, with drink specials every night.

Put on your dancing shoes, head to Wynwood and you are bound to have a good night.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com

If YOU GO

Where: The El Bolero Room at the Electric Pickle

2826 N. Miami Ave., Miami

When: Fridays, Saturdays and some Thursdays

For special events and a full calendar, visit electricpicklemiami.com.

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...