Staff editorial: Students deserve nutritional info

As we all know, no matter what how old we are, eating healthy is always an issue. But how healthy is Chartwell’s, and what exactly are we eating? It’s scary to know that we have no clue.

In the dining halls and food court, calorie counts and ingredients are nowhere to be seen. Not to mention, their Web site simply lists what meals are on the menu each week without any nutritional information.

Chartwell’s servers and managers are willing to share the nutritional value of their meals if asked. But the answers to these questions aren’t always pretty. In the dining halls, the veggie meatballs, for instance, are made of corn flakes, which means there is no nutritional value for people who want protein with their pasta.

The next step is to not only push Chartwell’s to post information online and in the dining halls, but to also work on providing healthier food for students. For the amount of money we pay, shouldn’t we have more say in the food they serve and how it’s prepared? As consumers, we should have a choice.

It may seem that the best way to fix this ongoing issue is to go through Student Government. But SG and the student body do not have permission to see UM’s contract with Chartwell’s, a private distributor, which is a huge problem.

Whether it’s in the dining halls or the food court, every student has complained about Chartwell’s at one point or another, but we’re unable to take action. Ultimately, the whole issue boils down to transparency. Why not tell your consumers the nutritional information in the food? Why not show the contract to students? If we want to see changes, we need to demand it.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...