Culture

Not so scary ‘Roommate’

Courtesy moviecarpet.com

“The Roommate” is nothing more than a fusion of “Single White Female” and “Fatal Attraction.”

Director Christian E. Christiansen’s attempt at a thriller failed miserably, considering how scarce this movie is on scares. However, it is impossible to expect much after watching the trailer.
Sara Matthews (Minka Kelly) is a fashion design student at the University of Los Angeles. “Gossip Girl’s” Leighton Meester plays Matthews’ new roommate and stalker, Rebecca.
At first, Rebecca seems like just an overbearing friend. However, soon things take a dark turn when Rebecca murders someone to protect Matthews.
In addition to the unoriginal plotline, the first half of the movie is incredibly slow. It seems like all the suspense and action are thrown into the last 15 minutes of the film. The final scenes are probably the most entertaining part of the poorly executed thriller.
On a more positive note, Meester gives a decent performance, as does Kelly. However, they don’t ease the dullness of the plot. Perhaps a few additional scares throughout the movie could have made it more enjoyable.
Nicky Diaz may be contacted at ndiaz@themiamihurricane.com.
Rating: 2/4 stars
Starring: Minka Kelly, Leighton Meester, Cam Gigandet
Directed By: Christian E. Christiansen
MPAA Rating: PG-13

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

University of Miami President Julio Frenk and Miami-Dade Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carva

Experts in the Department of Political Science’s 2020 election class explain why all eyes may be on

The Frost School of Music’s Band of the Hour discovers new ways to deliver school spirit at the Hard

Lauren Markwith played four years with Miami Hurricanes soccer. Now, she is on staff for Inter Miami

Sierra Domb uses her communications skills to raise awareness of and funding for studies on a sensor