Every Man in this Village Book Review

Courtesy scribepublications.com

Journalists are often the forgotten casualties of war: it is as though their being paid to remain objective

observers automatically removes them from the emotional stressors and trauma of conflicts. However,
though not all are explicit victims of violence such as CNN’s Anderson Cooper and Christiane Amanpour,
the scars remain – just ask Megan Stack, the author of the searing and timely memoir “Every Man in this
Village is a Liar: An Education in War.”
Stack was called to the front lines after September 11, 2001, and she went on the report from more
than 22 countries in the Middle East. The author, just 25 years old at the time, covered almost
every depressing development in the region’s complex history in the past few years, from the Iraqi
insurgency’s budding days to 2006 Lebanon War.
She fends off the inappropriate advances of an Afghan warlord she suspects of defrauding the
Americans and faces discrimination at every turn on account of her gender and her nationality, and
among the most emotionally trying passages are her describing the car rides en route to the sites of
suicide bombings, knowing what awaits her at the end of the ride. The futility and helplessness she feels
is visceral.
The book is just 272 pages and is at times claustrophobic and incredibly dark; Stack recounts the brutal
murders of friends, colleagues and complete strangers alike with eloquence and pathos. “Every Man”
seems, at times, like Stack’s confession, as if recounting what she’s seen and experienced will absolve
her of her sins. It may not be an easy read, but it is both relevant and essential.
Rating: 3.5/4 stars
Author: Megan Stack
Publisher: Doubleday

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...