Business School and UBS host carnival for kids

On Saturday, the School of Business’ Eighth Hyperion Council and United Black Students joined together to hold a carnival for young students at the Overtown Youth Center in Miami.

The youth center’s parking lot was filled with UM volunteers and young students who enjoyed bounce houses, music and even sumo wrestling.

The purpose of the event was to teach the kids the fundamentals of financial literacy and teamwork. Throughout the morning, there was tutoring for kids of all ages who wanted help with their schoolwork.

The experience touched many of the UM student volunteers.

“I remember one student answering an essay prompt which stated what they wanted to change this world and he wrote, ‘I want to change violence in my community,’” said senior Jordan Chadsey, a council member.

The 18 members of the council who attended were all busy working with kids at the educational booths that were set up around the carnival.

“The council is really committed to transferring the information they are learning in the classroom to communities in the real world,” said Ellen McPhillip, assistant dean of undergraduate business programs and adviser to the Hyperion Council. The group, made of of top business students, has been involved in off-campus community projects for years.

To council members, financial literacy is  a mindset. In teaching the kids at the youth center what it means to have a budget, they learn important lessons at a young age and can pass them on to future generations.

“Our goal is to start teaching Peter how to fish rather than giving Peter a fish,” McPhillip said.

The council set up two booths at the carnival, one with a game closely resembling the game-show Jeopardy and another called the “human knot,” which encouraged teamwork.  Jeopardy covered various topics and allowed the young students to explore more topics such as ethics, applying to college and starting a business. The human knot promoted accomplishment through teamwork, with students coming together in a circle and untangling themselves without letting go of each other’s hands.

“By providing these kids with early exposure to these topics, we can help them make the right financial decisions and help the communities in our area,” said senior Kyle Harke, the council’s student coordinator for this event.

Gabriel Baca may be contacted at gbaca@themiamihurricane.com.

Gabriel Baca

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...