Swoop Miami: ‘there it is’

Omarie Williams swoops on Ocean Drive on February 2. Williams has been swooping on South Beach for 5 months. Swoop is a company that gives free rides to customers all around the South Beach area. The golf carts are electric and eco-friendly, can only go up to 25mph, and runs for 6 hours before needing a charge. "We're like the new celebrities on South Beach," Williams said. Adrianne D'Angelo//co-photo Editor

Over and over again, Miami residents face frustrations with the city’s lack of public transportation system. For many students, this translates into taking expensive cabs, paying for overpriced parking and walking long distances whenever they go out. But now, thanks to Swoop Miami, South Beach has a free alternative.

Swoop is a free taxi service that services from 24th street down to 1st street. The company boasts fully electric, open-air golf carts, which means that by swooping you are not only saving money, but also being eco-friendly. Currently, Swoop has two fully-functioning vehicles picking up customers in the South Beach area. Founder Alexander Smith said that Swoop Miami was the result of his dissatisfaction with transportation and parking on Miami Beach. Smith is now looking to expand his service to the Downtown/Brickell area and then out west toward Coconut Grove.

This could facilitate more mobility for students, who would be able to catch the Hurry ‘Canes shuttle to the Grove and take Swoop to their destination without spending a penny.

While Swoop may make transporation easier, it cannot compare to some free transportation services provided by other universities. At the University of Florida, a program called Student Nighttime Auxiliary Patrol (SNAP) provides free rides to students anywhere on campus. SNAP is run by students and monitored by the university police. It was first implemented in 1976. UM offers no similar program.

“It’s convenient and safer than walking by yourself at night, especially if you have to walk in really unpopulated parts of campus,” said Rebecca Hutchinson, a senior at UF. “A lot of people take SNAP from midtown, where they were drinking, to sorority row.”

Swoop Miami is funded through advertisements displayed outside and inside of the taxis. The golf-cart-looking vehicles start running at 1 p.m. and do not stop until at least 2 a.m., although they often give rides as late as 5 a.m.

“It sounds like an absolutely feasible alternative… if you’re going to do it anyway, you might as well not pay for it,” UM law student Jordan Greenberg said.

The late-night hours are useful for anyone. Whether club hopping or craving a greasy slice of pizza, Swoop Miami has you covered. Want to catch a ride? Just give Swoop a call and they will come pick you up. Be forewarned though- if you call between 11 p.m. and 2 a.m., you may be waiting 15 to 30 minutes. See Swoop driving by? Call out “Swoop Swoop!” and they will pull up curbside to give you a lift. Be sure to tip the driver.

NEED A RIDE?

305-409-6636

For more information visit swoopmiami.com

Margaux Herrera may be contacted at mherrera@themiamihurricane.com.

Staff writer Laura Edwins contributed to this report.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...