Basketball, Sports

Close losses add up for team

Rion Brown rebounds the ball , on Sunday Jan 30, 2011 in Cassell Coliseum. Courtesy Maziar Fahandezh

Four straight games in which the Hurricanes have been unable to put the game away in the final seconds.

Will the fifth time be the charm?

Miami (12-9, 1-6 ACC) will look to pull out of a tailspin and right the ship on Thursday night when they take on Georgia Tech (10-10, 3-4 ACC) at the BankUnited Center. The Hurricanes come into the contest having lost five of their last six games, including the last four by a total of 11 points.

The team is holding onto slim hopes of making it to the NCAA tournament, and would need to make a run in order to even be in the discussion to make postseason play. Sitting in last place in the ACC at the moment, the Canes have 10 games and the ACC tournament remaining to get over their recent struggles.

It’s been a rough opening for the Canes in ACC play, but they know that the season is not over just yet. In the 2007-08 season, the last time they made the tournament, they opened up ACC play 2-6, then went on a 6-2 run to end the year.

The team also has quality nonconference wins against Ole Miss and West Virginia to lean on.

The Hurricanes have also traditionally been a better home team as well. Of their last five losses, two were at home, but until that point they were undefeated in the BankUnited Center. Miami plays five of its final 10 games at home, including two on this homestand.

The Yellow Jackets come in to the BUC after suffering a 74-63 loss to Maryland on Sunday night. They currently sit in eighth place in the ACC and are looking to make a push of their own.

Georgia Tech has been dreadful all season when playing in a visiting arena, providing more hope for the Canes. They have yet to win a road game this season, coming into the contest with an 0-6 record in games outside of the Thrillerdome.

The Yellow Jackets are led by junior Iman Shumpert and sophomore Glen Rice Jr., who are averaging 16.6 and 12.6 points per game respectively.

The game starts at 7 p.m. and can be heard live on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...