SG ready for eventful spring

After a productive first semester, Student Government (SG) is hard at work to make this semester equally eventful.

Many of their initiatives will be technology-based this semester.

The UM iPhone, Blackberry and smartphone applications are all in their final stages, and will soon be released. Also, residents in the University Village will receive a color printer.

“It makes life easier because now we don’t have to walk all the way to Richter to use a color printer,” said junior Ralph Liy, a resident of the UV.

This spring, SG is also working on ‘Canes Nights programs, which will include trips to off-campus locations. There also may be a Build-A-Bear event that will possibly come just in time for Valentine’s Day.

In the fall 2011 semester, students will be able to search for courses on the myUM Web site by time, professor and section.

With Student Government Awareness Week coming up Feb. 7, students will be able participate in activities that promote SG in order to increase student participation and support. There will be a free breakfast, a Category 5 pep rally to stimulate spirit, and a Get Out the Vote Movement, which will consist of food and flyer giveaways and SG election informational speeches.

“Honestly, Student Government Awareness Week is one of my favorite times,” said Ryan Aquilina, press secretary for SG. “It really is great to get out and talk to students even more than we usually do, and let them know what we’re doing, and most importantly, get their feedback.”

During SG Awareness Week, President Christina Farmer will also deliver a “State of the U” address on the Rock on Feb. 9 at 4:30 p.m.
With elections scheduled for Feb. 21- 23, SG is busy making sure that students are aware of everything they do.

“Working very closely with Christina Farmer, our current president, people have absolutely no idea how much she is responsible for and how much she does,” Aquilina said.

“It is very important as we elect a new president this spring that we elect someone with the ability to carry out the tasks and that has the grand ideas and spirit to make them reality,” he said.

Stephanie Parra may be contacted at sparra@themiamihurricane.com.

INTERESTED in SG?

If you’re interesting in running for a position log on to www.miami.edu/sg and file for candidacy. You can also follow UMiami Student Government on Facebook, and provide input there.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...