News Briefs

Deadline for FAFSA soon

The preferred filing deadline for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is Feb. 1 for undergraduate students and March 1 for graduate students. To apply, visit fafsa.ed.gov. For help with the application process, contact the Office of Financial Assistance at 305-284-5212 or at ofas@miami.edu.

Humanities Speech Feb. 10

The College of Arts and Sciences’ Center for the Humanities is presenting a lecture by Martha Nussbaum on her book “Not For Profit: Why Democracy Needs the Humanities” on Feb. 10 at 7 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. For more information, visit humanities.miami.edu/programs/lectures/martha-nussbaum.

Leadership Summit 2011

Leadership Summit 2011, Live Now, Lead Now: Create your Path to Success, took place on Jan. 29 at the UC from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. This one-day conference is an annual tradition that increases awareness of real-world leadership ideas and stresses the development of leadership capability. Keynote speakers included Trish Downing, Mayor Don Slesnick and Frank Kelly.

Alysha Khan may be contacted at akhan@themiamihurricane.com.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...