Iron and Wine stray from norm

Iron and Wine’s new album features a more poppy sound.

Courtesy stereogum.com

“Kiss Each Other Clean” is the first studio LP from Sam Beam (aka Iron and Wine) since 2007’s “The Shepherd’s Dog.” Like that album, this release moves away from the lo-fidelity minimalist arrangements of earlier albums that typically featured little more than whisper singing and an acoustic guitar.

The serenity and quiet beauty of those releases were what originally won fans over, so the poppiness and slick production of “Kiss Each Other Clean” may divide fans.

The biggest advantage of the new sound is the variety it provides, a break from older releases like “Our Endless Numbered Days.”

Beam explores pop with a full band of back-up vocalists, pianos and synths, electric guitar licks and saxophones that give songs like “Me and Lazarus” a pleasing jazz feel.

On “Half Moon” we also hear Beam’s clear voice soar, which is unusual in his older work but fits well with the freewheeling nature of this record. Lyrics are poetic and earnest but lack the sparse folk instrumentation to match them.

Listeners may not feel serenaded by Beam’s lyrics, but they should still appreciate his talent for vivid, fantastic imagery.

William McAuliffe may be contacted at wmcauliffe@miamihurricane.com

“Kiss Each Other Clean”

4.5/ 5 stars

Release Date: Jan. 26

Label: Capitol Records

William McAuliffe

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...