Author relates to campus diversity

courtesy John Hopkins University Arts and Sciences Magazine

Wes Moore will kick off this year’s Black Awareness Month (BAM) celebration Feb. 1 with a speech in the BankUnited Center’s Hurricane 100 Room.

Moore is a businessman and Army combat veteran who wrote the book, “The Other Wes Moore: One Name and Two Fates- A Story of Tragedy and Hope.”

After seeing Moore on Oprah last summer, Renee Callan, director of MSA, thought he would be relatable to students and suggested the idea of an event featuring Moore to United Black Students (UBS) and Brothers Overcoming Negativity and Destruction (B.O.N.D.).

“The Other Wes Moore” is about overcoming obstacles and transcending the environment from a specifically male point of view. Callan thought Moore could reach out to more minority men on campus and get them involved.

“When you think about his life, he’s a Rhodes scholar, a White House Fellow and a veteran; his background relates to various different student backgrounds on campus,” Callan said. “It’s not just about showcasing an African-American male.”

Moore will make a visit to UM to sign books and speak to students during A Step In the Right Direction: The Wes Moore Story. The event is free and open to everyone.

The book signing is just the first of this year’s month-long BAM celebration themed Footsteps… Where We’ve Been, Where We’re Going… The whole UM community is invited to experience the culture with events like the BAM Day of Service at the Overtown Youth Center, the Black Business Expo and BAM fashion show.

UBS Second Vice President Dara Collins looks forward to everyone’s response to the month’s events.

“We’re focusing heavily on expanding our reach and making sure the entire campus can enjoy,” Collins said. “I encourage the entire UM community to come celebrate black culture and history through spiritual, fun activities and planning. There’s something for everybody.”

Jasmine Henderson can be contacted at jhenderson@themiamihurricane.com.

Jasmine Henderson

Contributing Columnist

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...