Basketball, Sports

Win streak ends at FSU

The Hurricane women’s basketball team went to Tallahassee on Monday riding high on a 17-game winning streak. Florida State, however, sent them crashing back down to earth.

Shenise Johnson scored 21 points and Riquna Williams added 18 for Miami, but it wasn’t enough  because the Hurricanes (18-2, 4-1 ACC) lost for only the second time this season, falling to the Seminoles 66-59.

Florida State (16-4, 4-1 ACC) was able to secure the win despite turning the ball over 29 times. Natasha Howard and Alexa Deluzio scored 12 points apiece for the Seminoles, who out-rebounded the Hurricanes 47-28.

The first half went back and forth between both teams, as there were nine lead changes and a 34-34 tie heading into halftime. The Seminoles came into the second half strong, however, scoring 16 of the next 20 points to blow the game open.

The Hurricanes were limited to a 30.2 field goal percentage in the game, while Florida State was able to convert on 48.9 percent of their shots. Williams, who has led the ACC in scoring throughout much of the season, made only 1 of 14 shots in the second half.

“Unfortunately I think we let our offensive performance dictate our entire mood, our entire emotional approach to the game,” head coach Katie Meier said after the game. “It’s really the first time this year that we’ve been reactive to the offense not clicking, and that’s all the credit to Florida State.”

The Canes did go on an 11-3 run to put them within three in the final minute, but the Noles were able to hold on to the win with five combined free throws by Courtney Ward and Cierra Bravard.

The Hurricanes head back home for a weekend homestand beginning Thursday at 7 p.m. against the NC State Wolfpack (9-10, 1-4 ACC), who on Sunday played well against No. 3 Duke before blowing a 20-point lead and losing 65-64. Miami will then play Georgia Tech on Sunday at 3 p.m. before traveling to Durham, N.C. for their test against the Blue Devils.

Every game can be heard live on 90.5 FM or on the Web at wvum.org.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...