Basketball, Sports

Last-minute loss dims ACC hopes

Just like that, another team stole the heart of the Miami Hurricanes in the final seconds.

For the third straight game, the Hurricanes once again suffered another heartbreaker as freshman forward Harrison Barnes broke the Canes’ spirit with a shot clock-expiring 3-pointer as North Carolina won, 74-71, at the BankUnited Center.

Miami had a chance on the final possession, but redshirt junior guard Malcolm Grant was unable to hit a deep 3-pointer as time expired.

Five players finished with double digits for the Hurricanes (12-8,1-5), but it wasn’t enough to top the Tar Heels (14-5, 4-1). Sophomore guard Durand Scott led the Hurricanes with 18 points and hit a career-high four 3-pointers.

“In 25 years I have never had this in three straight games coming down to final possession,” head coach Frank Haith said. “It’s tough. Tough plays. Tough breaks.”

Now the Hurricanes are four games down and couldn’t find themselves in a deeper hole.

The Canes will hit the road to Blacksburg, Va. to play Virginia Tech on Monday and still have five remaining away games. The Hurricanes will have to put together a decent winning streak to get back in the middle of the ACC standings.

“We had a chance to win the game,” Haith said. “We’ve got to get a break.”

Miami had to fight the battle in the paint. North Carolina, the No. 1 team in the nation in rebounds with 43 per game, was in a dogfight with the Hurricanes, who were unphased by the height of the Tar Heels. The Canes held UNC to 34 total rebounds while also converting 13 for 28 from the 3-point line.

North Carolina just executed down the stretch with Barnes hitting the last two baskets for the Tar Heels. Miami didn’t convert on a field goal for the final 4:14 of the game.

“I feel for Frank,” said UNC head coach Roy Williams, a two-time national champion. “We feel real fortunate. Feel as lucky as we possibly be. It was a big shot for Harrison. They were a difficult match-up for us. You have to give Miami credit.”

The Tar Heels went up 69-67 when junior center Tyler Zeller hit a hook shot after returning to the floor from sitting out with four fouls. Scott hit a pair of free throws and Grant gave UM the lead with another pair before Barnes made the final baskets.

In the past, Scott has always tried to prove a point against North Carolina. Last year at the Dean Smith Center in Chapel Hill, Scott went to work against the Tar Heels as he had a career-high 29 points on 11 for 15 from the floor.

Redshirt sophomore forward Reggie Johnson finished with 11 points and 13 rebounds and bodied Zeller most of the game in the paint. Grant had 17 points and redshirt senior Adrian Thomas added 12 points.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...