Recycled art leaves a mark on Gables

A snail located on Cartagena Circle. Adrianne D'Angelo//Co-Photo Editor

No, you’re not just seeing things. Eight-foot tall, bright pink snails have been spotted all across Coral Gables.
The snails have been scattered throughout downtown Coral Gables for two months and can be seen in unexpected places including the front of City Hall, at Merrick Park and in front of the Coral Gables Library.
The giant snails were first introduced by the Cracking Art Group at Art Basel in December. One of the group’s goals was to make artwork accessible to the public.
Sophomore Heather Capps felt that the snails were a departure from the typical artwork shown at the festival.
“I think they are cool because so many things at Art Basel are not interactive,” she said. “The snails are a type of art you can touch.”
However, some of the interactions by Miami Beach residents were not what the creators had in mind. Multiple snails were tagged with graffiti, and one was even stolen and relocated to Biscayne Bay. The mistreatment of the snails in Miami Beach prompted Galleria Ca d’Oro, the gallery that sponsored the artwork, to move the pieces of art to Coral Gables.
Though the gallery did not appreciate the snail vandalism, sophomore Kristen Soller had a different view.
“I don’t think the graffiti is necessarily a bad thing,” she said. “It’s some form of interaction, which is better than ignoring it. For art, any kind of publicity is good publicity.”
In addition to promoting this accessibility to art, the Cracking Art Group intended the snails, which are made of recycled plastic, to promote recycling and conservation. However, Capps felt that the topic of conservation would rarely be addressed.
“If you’re not in the know, the recycled part doesn’t come across,” she said. “Tourists especially will not understand.”
Though the snails may not inspire residents to recycle, their move to Coral Gables is definitely a topic of conversation.
“Because of the size of the snails, how can you ignore them?” Soller said. “They’re quirky.”
Once the exhibit ends, the majority of the snails will become the property of an art collector. However, one of the colorful snails will live out its life at the Miami Children’s Museum due to a donation by Galleria Ca’ d’Oro.
“They seem to be cute public statuary,” UM art professor Darby Bannard said. “They’re fun, if you can stand the color.”

Kylie Banks may be contacted at kbanks@themiamihurricane.com.

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...