OMG! Burgers proves boring

Stefanie Gato and fellow servers at OMG! Burgers prepare for the midday rush on Jan. 23. Jessica Hodder//The Miami Hurricane

The only aspects that set OMG! Burgers apart from other fast food joints in the area are its French fries and good service.

The restaurant recently replaced Qdoba Mexican Grill on Sunset Drive and certainly does nothing to elicit its namesake phrase (oh my gosh). Upon first glance, OMG! Burgers’ menu is strikingly similar to that of Five Guys Burgers and Fries.

Patrons have the option of ordering a junior burger or cheeseburger with a single hamburger patty, a regular burger with two patties or an OMG! burger, which unsurprisingly features three patties. Like Five Guys, you can choose from an array of free toppings, ranging from A1 Steak Sauce to ketchup.

In addition to regular cheeseburgers, OMG! Burgers offers a melted cheddar burger, which I thought would be an interesting option. Upon unwrapping my burger I was disappointed to find that the “melted” cheddar’s consistency was akin to the variety pumped from a vat onto nachos. It tasted OK but I would never order it again.

Let down a bit from the “nacho-cheeseburger,” I then sampled my order of fries. They were amazing and reminiscent of French fries from California fast food all-star In-N-Out Burger. The fries were thin-cut, well-seasoned (although they had just a touch too much salt) and had the perfect amount of crunch. Though they were certainly tasty, you don’t get much for your money. A welcome surprise, OMG! Burgers cooks their food to order and employees personally deliver your food to your table with a smile, even if it’s a to-go order. As a whole, OMG! Burgers is mediocre. They have undeniably good service, but need to improve the taste and quality of their burgers.

Danielle Kaslow may be contacted at dkaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO

What: OMG! Burgers

Where: 5748 Sunset Dr. (behind Sunset Place mall)

When: Sunday-Thursday, 10:30 a.m.-midnight; Friday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-2 a.m.

Cost: Burgers $3-6, fries $2.19

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...