OMG! Burgers proves boring

Stefanie Gato and fellow servers at OMG! Burgers prepare for the midday rush on Jan. 23. Jessica Hodder//The Miami Hurricane

The only aspects that set OMG! Burgers apart from other fast food joints in the area are its French fries and good service.

The restaurant recently replaced Qdoba Mexican Grill on Sunset Drive and certainly does nothing to elicit its namesake phrase (oh my gosh). Upon first glance, OMG! Burgers’ menu is strikingly similar to that of Five Guys Burgers and Fries.

Patrons have the option of ordering a junior burger or cheeseburger with a single hamburger patty, a regular burger with two patties or an OMG! burger, which unsurprisingly features three patties. Like Five Guys, you can choose from an array of free toppings, ranging from A1 Steak Sauce to ketchup.

In addition to regular cheeseburgers, OMG! Burgers offers a melted cheddar burger, which I thought would be an interesting option. Upon unwrapping my burger I was disappointed to find that the “melted” cheddar’s consistency was akin to the variety pumped from a vat onto nachos. It tasted OK but I would never order it again.

Let down a bit from the “nacho-cheeseburger,” I then sampled my order of fries. They were amazing and reminiscent of French fries from California fast food all-star In-N-Out Burger. The fries were thin-cut, well-seasoned (although they had just a touch too much salt) and had the perfect amount of crunch. Though they were certainly tasty, you don’t get much for your money. A welcome surprise, OMG! Burgers cooks their food to order and employees personally deliver your food to your table with a smile, even if it’s a to-go order. As a whole, OMG! Burgers is mediocre. They have undeniably good service, but need to improve the taste and quality of their burgers.

Danielle Kaslow may be contacted at dkaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO

What: OMG! Burgers

Where: 5748 Sunset Dr. (behind Sunset Place mall)

When: Sunday-Thursday, 10:30 a.m.-midnight; Friday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-2 a.m.

Cost: Burgers $3-6, fries $2.19

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...