OMG! Burgers proves boring

Stefanie Gato and fellow servers at OMG! Burgers prepare for the midday rush on Jan. 23. Jessica Hodder//The Miami Hurricane

The only aspects that set OMG! Burgers apart from other fast food joints in the area are its French fries and good service.

The restaurant recently replaced Qdoba Mexican Grill on Sunset Drive and certainly does nothing to elicit its namesake phrase (oh my gosh). Upon first glance, OMG! Burgers’ menu is strikingly similar to that of Five Guys Burgers and Fries.

Patrons have the option of ordering a junior burger or cheeseburger with a single hamburger patty, a regular burger with two patties or an OMG! burger, which unsurprisingly features three patties. Like Five Guys, you can choose from an array of free toppings, ranging from A1 Steak Sauce to ketchup.

In addition to regular cheeseburgers, OMG! Burgers offers a melted cheddar burger, which I thought would be an interesting option. Upon unwrapping my burger I was disappointed to find that the “melted” cheddar’s consistency was akin to the variety pumped from a vat onto nachos. It tasted OK but I would never order it again.

Let down a bit from the “nacho-cheeseburger,” I then sampled my order of fries. They were amazing and reminiscent of French fries from California fast food all-star In-N-Out Burger. The fries were thin-cut, well-seasoned (although they had just a touch too much salt) and had the perfect amount of crunch. Though they were certainly tasty, you don’t get much for your money. A welcome surprise, OMG! Burgers cooks their food to order and employees personally deliver your food to your table with a smile, even if it’s a to-go order. As a whole, OMG! Burgers is mediocre. They have undeniably good service, but need to improve the taste and quality of their burgers.

Danielle Kaslow may be contacted at dkaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO

What: OMG! Burgers

Where: 5748 Sunset Dr. (behind Sunset Place mall)

When: Sunday-Thursday, 10:30 a.m.-midnight; Friday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-2 a.m.

Cost: Burgers $3-6, fries $2.19

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...