OMG! Burgers proves boring

Stefanie Gato and fellow servers at OMG! Burgers prepare for the midday rush on Jan. 23. Jessica Hodder//The Miami Hurricane

The only aspects that set OMG! Burgers apart from other fast food joints in the area are its French fries and good service.

The restaurant recently replaced Qdoba Mexican Grill on Sunset Drive and certainly does nothing to elicit its namesake phrase (oh my gosh). Upon first glance, OMG! Burgers’ menu is strikingly similar to that of Five Guys Burgers and Fries.

Patrons have the option of ordering a junior burger or cheeseburger with a single hamburger patty, a regular burger with two patties or an OMG! burger, which unsurprisingly features three patties. Like Five Guys, you can choose from an array of free toppings, ranging from A1 Steak Sauce to ketchup.

In addition to regular cheeseburgers, OMG! Burgers offers a melted cheddar burger, which I thought would be an interesting option. Upon unwrapping my burger I was disappointed to find that the “melted” cheddar’s consistency was akin to the variety pumped from a vat onto nachos. It tasted OK but I would never order it again.

Let down a bit from the “nacho-cheeseburger,” I then sampled my order of fries. They were amazing and reminiscent of French fries from California fast food all-star In-N-Out Burger. The fries were thin-cut, well-seasoned (although they had just a touch too much salt) and had the perfect amount of crunch. Though they were certainly tasty, you don’t get much for your money. A welcome surprise, OMG! Burgers cooks their food to order and employees personally deliver your food to your table with a smile, even if it’s a to-go order. As a whole, OMG! Burgers is mediocre. They have undeniably good service, but need to improve the taste and quality of their burgers.

Danielle Kaslow may be contacted at dkaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO

What: OMG! Burgers

Where: 5748 Sunset Dr. (behind Sunset Place mall)

When: Sunday-Thursday, 10:30 a.m.-midnight; Friday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-2 a.m.

Cost: Burgers $3-6, fries $2.19

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...