Movie review: No Strings Attached

Courtesy Paramount Pictures

Genuine performances by Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman make “No Strings Attached” better than your average romantic comedy. The at-times crude humor, along with the focus on friends trying to sustain a sex-only relationship, helps the film go beyond the chick-flick genre.

It seems as though lately Hollywood is cranking out films centered on friends with benefits, but burdening them with ludicrous complications. The most recent product, “Love and Other Drugs” with Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway, dealt with Parkinson’s disease and had an awful ending. However, “No Strings Attached” keeps the audience laughing throughout its duration without throwing in ridiculous curveballs… except for Ludacris playing one of Kutcher’s best friends.

Portman plays Emma Kurtzman, a doctor who avoids relationships — and any emotion at all for that matter — at all costs. Adam Franklin, Kutcher’s character, aspires to be a writer for the television series he works for (imagine “Glee” and “High School Musical” meshed together). Despite his parents’ divorce and the fact that his father dates his ex-girlfriends, he is more open to love than Emma is.

At first, it seems the two don’t have much in common except for wanting a relationship based on casual sex. Nevertheless, as the movie progresses, the two start to fall for each other against Emma’s wishes.

Although you could probably guess the movie’s ending just by watching the trailer, “No Strings Attached” is the perfect balance of romance and comedy making it worth the $10.50 for a movie ticket. Plus, who doesn’t want to stare at Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman for two hours?

Nicky Diaz may be contacted at ndiaz@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 3.5/4 stars

Starring: Ashton Kutcher, Natalie Portman

Directed By: Ivan Reitman

MPAA Rating: R

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...