Mentors help teach culture

Carson Chen, sophomore and part time IEP (Intensive English Program) student, sits with his partner, Gustavo Lang, junior, as they converse in English and Chinese. Chen and Lang have been partnered for a year, helping each other learn their native language and share their culture. "I'm lovin' it! Just copy Ronald McDonald," says Chen, when asked how he likes the program. Cayla Nimmo//The Miami Hurricane

Being placed on the opposite side of the world with no friends or family can be both scary and exciting.
Many students at the University of Miami can relate to this experience because 10 percent of UM undergraduates are international students, which come from 111 different countries.
Designed by the Intensive English Program (IEP), UM’s conversation program helps students that do not speak English fluently to perfect their language skills.
By matching each exchange student with an English-speaking student, the program works to immerse them in American culture while tending to their English language needs.
One match provided by the IEP was sophomore Carson Chen, a part-time IEP student, and junior Gustavo Lang who have been partnered for a year. Through this partnership, Chen and Lang have shared their cultures.
“It’s very different here from their country,” said Beatrice Nanni, director of IEP. “It gives international students an understanding, as well as what the American culture is really like.”
IEP functions include Talking Tuesdays, where coffee and cookies are served, and monthly events like ice cream night and bowling.
“It’s also an opportunity for mentoring,” Nanni said. “If you want to meet someone from a different country then you definitely should join.”

Rose Aviles may be contacted at raviles@themiamihurricane.com.

Rose Aviles

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...