Staff editorial: Haiti should remain in our hearts

It has been one year since a catastrophic earthquake struck Haiti at its core, leaving about 250,000 people dead, three million people in need of emergency aid and more than a million homeless.

In the first few months after the earthquake, the world was quick to provide medical aid and other recovery efforts. The immediacy of the international community’s response to this excruciating natural disaster not only captured media attention but also our hearts and minds. The outpour of sympathy from people in the United States and around the world led many to contribute millions of dollars to non-profit organizations and pushed many to become activists.

However, reconstruction is only the beginning. Today, Haiti is still in the process of digging itself out from under the rubble. Despite the world’s immediate aid and help, there are still more than a million displaced people living in tents and under tarpaulins. Additionally, Haitians are dealing with a cholera epidemic that has killed more than 2,000 people.

Haiti needs to achieve the following: develop and implement strategies for housing, health care, government reform and agriculture, obtain clean water and access to medical care, clean up more rubble, house the displaced and promote jobs.

Drifting in and out of the media spotlight, Haiti’s plight can easily be thought of as old, outdated news. After a certain time frame and an overwhelming reaction by the media, this horrific disaster has been pushed out of the public’s consciousness.

With that said, both the pace of humanitarian relief and democratic recovery in Haiti recently has been disappointing. We must remember that just because the earthquake occurred a year ago, the struggle in Haiti is not over.

Even after a year, the University of Miami has not forgotten its devotion to reconstructing Haiti. Students, faculty and staff from across the school have done much to contribute to relief efforts. To get Haiti back on its feet, we must ask ourselves, “What is the most fundamental thing that needs to be restored in Haiti and how can I help out?” Whether it’s donating money, volunteering or simply becoming an advocate, we can all help alleviate the suffering of the Haitian people and contribute to the restoration of the country.

Clearly, the trail of devastation left in Haiti is going to be a tough obstacle to overcome and it will take many years. But if we sit back and show no interest in improving life in Haiti, who will this resolve the economic and health problems that this country is facing?

Editorials represent the majority view of
The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...