Sports briefs 1/20

Track and Field

The track and field team began the 2011 indoor season at the Clemson Challenge last Saturday. The women’s team swept the 400m dash. Tameka Jameson, the reigning ACC outdoor champion in the 400m dash, took first. For the men, Devon Hill placed first in the 60m hurdles, only .01 of a second away from the school record he set last season in his ACC title heat. The next meet is the McCravey Memorial Track and Field meet at the University of Kentucky Jan. 28-29.

Swimming and Diving
In their first competition in over a month, the Hurricane swimming and diving team (6-1) defeated FIU and Central Connecticut State on Saturday, winning 10 events. The team will conclude the 2010-2011 season this Friday, hosting FAU at the UC pool at 3 p.m.

Volleyball
Head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch has announced that Barbara Blair Fuentez has signed to play for the Canes. Fuentez helped her Ridgewood (NJ) high school team to the NJSIAA Group 4 North finals. A setter and a hitter, she helped her club team qualify for the Junior Olympics and is currently listed as a senior aces top 150 player nationally.

Compiled by Darci Miller, who may be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...