Sports briefs 1/20

Track and Field

The track and field team began the 2011 indoor season at the Clemson Challenge last Saturday. The women’s team swept the 400m dash. Tameka Jameson, the reigning ACC outdoor champion in the 400m dash, took first. For the men, Devon Hill placed first in the 60m hurdles, only .01 of a second away from the school record he set last season in his ACC title heat. The next meet is the McCravey Memorial Track and Field meet at the University of Kentucky Jan. 28-29.

Swimming and Diving
In their first competition in over a month, the Hurricane swimming and diving team (6-1) defeated FIU and Central Connecticut State on Saturday, winning 10 events. The team will conclude the 2010-2011 season this Friday, hosting FAU at the UC pool at 3 p.m.

Volleyball
Head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch has announced that Barbara Blair Fuentez has signed to play for the Canes. Fuentez helped her Ridgewood (NJ) high school team to the NJSIAA Group 4 North finals. A setter and a hitter, she helped her club team qualify for the Junior Olympics and is currently listed as a senior aces top 150 player nationally.

Compiled by Darci Miller, who may be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been facinated with Japan and its culture. Partic ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

The University of Miami utilizes WeatherSTEM units on campus that continually scan atmospheric condi ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...

On Jan. 2, 2001, the Canes and Gators met for the first time in 13 years, renewing on of college foo ...