News briefs

UMTV Pair In MTVU’s Oscar Correspondent Contest

UM seniors Scotty Braun and Alexandra Cotoulas are among the finalists for MTVU’s Oscar Correspondent Contest. The winners will be correspondents at the Oscars on Feb.27.  To vote for Braun and Cotoulas visit oscars.mtvu.com before Jan. 28.

US-Israeli Conference

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies and the Scholars for Peace in the Middle East hosted the “Fifty Years of the Special US-Israel Relationship (1962-2012): Walt-Mearsheimer in Perspective” conference from Jan. 16-18. The conference examined US-Israel relations over the past 50 years and the related issues facing college campuses today, and featured several speakers, including Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren and former U.S. Ambassador to Israel Samuel Lewis.

Red light camera fines

Effective Jan. 1, Miami drivers caught running a red light will automatically be fined $158. The city will not issue warnings as other cities have done, yet the fines will not increase for repeat offenders. The citations will not add points to drivers’ records, so insurance costs will be unaffected.

A city contractor and a police officer will review video clips and photographs from street cameras to issue the violations. Drivers will have the option of paying the citation and viewing the video and photos online. If the notice is not paid or appealed within 30 days, the offender will have to pay a larger fine that may include court fees. Cameras are installed at more than a dozen locations and intersections including Southwest 37th Avenue and South Dixie Highway, Southeast 26th Road and Brickell Avenue, and Northeast 36th Street and Biscayne Boulevard.

Recent UM Grad dies

Two 2010 UM graduates were involved in a fatal car accident, according to the Sigma Alpha Epsilon website.  Andrew Klausmeyer passed away as a result of injuries and Mike Rangel has been hospitalized due to his injuries.

Toppel hosting Reverse Career Fair

Toppel Career Center is hosting a Reverse Career Fair that invites student organizations to set up booths that will be visited by potential employers. The deadline for registration for organizations is Jan.24 and for participants Feb.7. Space is limited to 25 organizations and there will be prizes distributed for the best display. To register, visit https://miami-csm.symplicity.com/events/RCF2011.

Collegetown Faculty Lecture Series

The University of Miami and the City of Coral Gables present the first lecture in the Collegetown Faculty Lecture Series on Feb.3 at 6:30 in the Storer Auditorium. The lecture, titled Health Care Reform: An Idea Whose Time has Come” will be presented by UM President Donna Shalala and is open to the public. To RSVP, call 305-284-3356 or email provost@miami.edu.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...