Historic apartments demolished

Now enclosed by green wired fences, six buildings located in the apartment area of campus have been inundated with bulldozers and construction workers for the past month. The site is home to UM’s latest construction project, the demolition and restoration of the historic Foster, Allen, Smith, Railey, Brunstetter and Grosvenor apartments.

The fences were originally placed in early December, and demolition took place during winter break to reduce its impact on campus functions.

“We’ve completed two buildings so far, buildings 22 and 23,” said Eddy Lopez, project manager for the apartment demolition. Building 22 is the Brunstetter apartment and 23 is the Grosvenor apartment.

Demolition of building 41, the Railey apartment, is underway, and the entire restoration process is scheduled for completion in late March.

According to UM spokesperson Margot Winick, the buildings have been slated to be demolished since 1992, but permits and land ordinances were only recently granted by the City of Coral Gables.

Completed in 1948, the apartment area was originally designated to house married veterans and their families. After World War II, the buildings were used for student housing and administrative offices.

These buildings, Winick said, have outlived their usefulness as student housing standards have developed. The area will be landscaped and treated as open space once the buildings are demolished.

Building apartment complex 29 includes the Hughes, Rhodes, La Gorce and Pentland buildings; these will be preserved as a historic cluster and will remain in use. The Hughes and Rhodes buildings along with School of Architecture buildings 48 and 49 are currently used as administrative offices and classrooms.

Students and employees working near and within the complex have not been negatively impacted by the project.

“I asked one of the construction workers what was happening because I was curious, but the construction hasn’t really impacted me,” said Annie George, project director for the Back on Track Study in the Psychology Department. George has worked in the Rhodes house for 13 years.

Although immediate restoration plans will introduce greenery, trees, walkways and irrigation, UM’s master plan considers this area the future site of both academic and housing buildings that will meet the needs of today’s students.

“I was sad to see them go, but they were kind of really old though. And I know some others weren’t as nice as ours,” said senior Katharine Woodward, who used to live in the apartments.

Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...