Another pedestrian death

Taylor William Emmons, a sophomore at the University of Miami, died early Sunday morning as the result of a pedestrian crash.

Emmons, a 19-year-old from Sarasota, Florida, was a majoring in Entrepreneurship in the School of Business Administration. He was a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity.

“We are devastated by the loss of Taylor Emmons, our brother and our dear friend. All of our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this tremendously difficult time,” said Andy Firestone, Sigma Chi president, in a UM statement.

At 1:02 a.m. Sunday, Mary Suzanne Jean, who was driving a silver Toyota Four Runner hit Emmons as she was traveling southbound on San Amaro Drive. Emmons sustained critical injuries and was transported to Doctor’s Hospital where he died.

Emmons walked into the path of the Toyota Four Runner, said Kelly Denham, Coral Gables Police officer. The department is awaiting the toxicology reports on Emmons. The crash is under further investigation and no charges have been made at this time.

Emmons is the second UM student to die from a pedestrian crash this semester. His death is less than a month after junior Jared Paul Jones was struck by a 2004 silver Hyundai and died from his injuries.

Lindsay Brown

News Editor

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...