Wiz Khalifa to perform free concert Friday on UC Patio

Courtesy Sean Berry

The “Black and Yellow” rapper is going to paint this campus green and orange on Friday to celebrate the end of classes.

Wiz Khalifa is coming to UM this Friday to perform on the UC Patio. The event will start at 8 p.m. opening with a collection of up-and-coming artists including John Payne, J Nics and Mayday. The main act, Wiz Khalifa, will perform around 10 p.m. The concert is for students and faculty only and is not open to the community.

The show is being co-sponsored by Hurricane Productions (HP) and Beta Theta Pi fraternity. HP approached Beta to help fundraise and promote the Wiz concert, and the fraternity jumped at the chance. The fundraising goal was huge for such a short period of time, two and a half months, but with car washes, events at My Yogurt Bliss and Gables Pizza and Salad and private donors, the fraternity raised its portion of the money.

“We’ve never done a concert before,” said senior Karum Basra, president of Beta Theta Pi. “We’ve always wanted to do one but it wasn’t feasible before.”

The rapper is known for his often quirky samplings and the way he changes up his rap styling. Khalifa is gaining major success with his single “Black and Yellow,” a song singing the praises of his hometown, Pittsburgh. His other hit, “Say Yeah,” is a major club jam, and samples the super catchy late 90s dance tune “Better Off Alone.”

“I’m pretty excited to see Wiz. I love his new song that has been all over the radio,” junior Lauren Toribio said. “And to see him on the last day of classes is a great kick-off to the end of the semester.”

The rapper, who has told the media that he has a $10,000-a-month marijuana habit, was recently arrested at East Carolina University for possession of the drug at his concert. There were rumors that he might not be coming to Miami, but Wiz is out on bail and has performed at other colleges since the arrest.

“This should be a very popular show, “said junior Kris Martin, the small venues chair for HP. “His song [‘Black and Yellow’] has blown up recently and will be something cool for the university, a current artist that the students can relate to.”

Nancy Oben may be contacted at noben@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO

WHAT: Wiz Khalifa “After School Special” Concert, with performances by Wiz Khalifa, Mayday, Jnics, John Payan and The Politix
WHEN: Friday at 8 p.m.
WHERE: UC Patio
COST: Free, Cane Cards are required for entry

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...