News briefs 12/2

Dean honored
University of Education Dean Isaac Prilleltensky is the recipient of the American Psychological Association’s John Kalafat Applied Psychology’s Practitioner Award, as well as the first ever “Education Catalyst” award from the Miami-based Human Services Coalition (HSC).  The Catalyst award honors someone that has been a change agent in the education field.

Gloria Estefan
Gloria Estefan, a multiple Grammy Award-winning performing artist whose charitable and humanitarian efforts have aided victims of natural disasters and spinal cord injury, will give advice to graduates at the University of Miami’s fall 2010 commencement ceremony on Dec. 16 at 10 a.m. at the BankUnited Center.

Institute awarded
The University of Miami Frost School of Music’s Henry Mancini Institute was awarded $500,000 by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation in conjunction with the 2010 Knight Arts Challenge. This award will be used to produce “HMI: Outbound,” a new community outreach program to engender a new cultural niche in South Florida, a cross-genre orchestra. The Knight Foundation grant has been matched with a $500,000 cash contribution by philanthropist, business leader and UM trustee Adrienne Arsht, bringing total new funding for the HMI: Outbound program to $1,000,000.

Holiday building
UM Habitat for Humanity presents a gingerbread house building contest for teams of one to four people on Thursday at 7 p.m. in Eaton classroom 148. There will be a $20 per team pre-registration fee or $24 at the door.

Compiled by Parker Davis who may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...