Driver identified of fatal hit-and-run involving student

Early Nov. 24, Valentina Andrews Hubsch was confirmed as the driver that struck and killed UM junior Jared Paul Jones Nov. 13 in a hit-and-run accident.
According to The Miami Herald, Hubsch is 45-year-old fashion model from Coral Gables.
“The entire University of Miami community is saddened to learn today of the death of student Jared ‘Paul’ Jones,” read the statement released by UM Media Relations Tuesday morning.
Jones, who was an English major from Maryland and who went by Paul, died Nov. 23 as a result of the injuries he sustained from the accident when Hubsch struck him as he walked along the 4500 block of Red Road. At approximately 7:20 p.m. Nov. 13,  Jones was walking in the roadway to his off-campus apartment from a friend’s house.
“Paul [had]massive head trauma [and had]multiple injuries to other systems,” said Betsy Jones, Paul Jones’ mother, when she arrived in Miami Nov. 14 with her husband Jim Jones. Jones was in a coma until Tuesday.
The Coral Gables Police Department has received a statement from Hubsch and will begin working with the State Attorney’s Office to formalize the case and how she will be apprehended. The investigation is ongoing; Coral Gables Police will continue updating the community as necessary.

Alexa Lopez may be contacted at alopez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...