Sports briefs 11/22

Swimming and diving

After two days of competition, the Canes swimming and diving team stood at fourth place in the Georgia Tech Invitational. The Canes have had their share of record breaking performances during the event, including finishing a 200 medley race in 1:41.35. Senior Annika Saarnak broke another school record as well, finishing the 100-meter butterfly in 53.59. The Canes are off until Dec. 2, when they will participate in the Texas Invitational.

Men’s basketball

Despite a double-double by Reggie Johnson, the Hurricane men’s basketball team was unable to secure a win in New York on Sunday afternoon, falling to the Rutger Scarlet Knights, 61-45. Johnson had 12 points and 14 rebounds, but Durand Scott and Malcolm Grant were held to eight points combined. The Canes (2-2) will next play on Wednesday night, taking on the Mcneese State Cowboys (2-1) at the BankUnited Center. The game can be heard live on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.

Women’s basketball

The Hurricanes will be hosting their annual Thanksgiving tournament at the BankUnited Center this coming week, welcoming UNC Greensboro, Eastern Illinois, and Florida Atlantic University. The Canes will play against FAU on Friday at 7 p.m., with the final game of the tournament coming on Saturday at 5 p.m. (if they lose Friday) or 7 p.m. (if they win Friday). All of the action can be heard on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...