If You Can’t Beat ‘Em, Join ‘Em… Then Fix What You Don’t Like

In my three years at the University of Miami, I’ve noticed that every time there’s a school wide event there is a plethora of complaints to go along. Whether it’s before, during or after the event complaints from students will surely come. I get it. It’s life.

I’m not at all saying that students shouldn’t be able to voice their opinions, but at some point my peers need to understand that everyone cannot be pleased. With such a diverse student body, everyone’s tastes can’t possibly be met, especially at annual events put on by students themselves.

This specifically bothered me with the issue our homecoming concerts. Year after year I’ve listened to my peers complain and contest the musical acts chosen to perform at our homecoming concerts, and year after year I’ve watched those same people do nothing about what they seem to so passionately oppose. At what point do we stop complaining and exercise our ability to change things?

As far as the argument that the musical acts chosen do not reflect the student body. Hurricane Productions, a student organization, is responsible for the concert and it is comprised of students. A suggestion would be to join Hurricane Productions, which is fairly simple, so that your voice can be heard. This is the same for anything on campus you don’t particularly agree with and would like to see change on campus, and in life.

Students don’t realize that they have more power than they think on this campus. You don’t have to just be a part of the student government to change things. As student’s we limit ourselves to the classrooms and forget that our lives as leaders and decision-makers starts now. Bottom line, you can’t complain about what you’re not taking the proper action to change.

Jasmine Henderson is a junior majoring in journalism and international studies. She may be contacted at jhenderson@themiamihurricane.com.

Jasmine Henderson

Contributing Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...