Staff Editorial 11/18

Trojan Brand Condoms released its fifth annual Sexual Health Report Card last month, placing UM 56th among 141 schools across the country.

Rather than taking into account the students who are not using condoms with random strangers and the students who are not using condoms with long-term exclusive partners, the study instead evaluated each school in 13 categories including how much access students have to contraceptives, health center hours of operation and sexual awareness programs.

However, how reliable and accurate are these rankings? By college, everyone knows that it’s safer to use a condom and no amount of education and resources can change that.

Although UM was ranked No. 56 in this questionable study, we should be proud to know that we have moved up from No. 68 in 2009’s Sexual Health Report Card. UM has done an excellent job providing students with plenty of opportunities to ask questions about sex.

For example, UM provides students with “Ask a Sexologist” seminars in Stanford and Hecht Residential Colleges. Also, The Miami Hurricane’s “Dear V” serves as a sexual online resource, giving students the option to submit sexual health questions anonymously rather than going to the health center.

Last year UM’s health center has made efforts to update their Web site to include helpful resources for students and more information about contraception.

Remember, it’s surely not the health center’s responsibility and school’s duty to remind us to use protection. Go to the health center, take advantage of its resources. Despite what a silly annual ranking says, we believe UM’s campus health services and sexual health education programs successfully meet the needs of those who seek them out.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board. Visit www.themiamihurricane.com to read “Trojans Health Report Marks Improvement.”

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...