Staff Editorial 11/18

Trojan Brand Condoms released its fifth annual Sexual Health Report Card last month, placing UM 56th among 141 schools across the country.

Rather than taking into account the students who are not using condoms with random strangers and the students who are not using condoms with long-term exclusive partners, the study instead evaluated each school in 13 categories including how much access students have to contraceptives, health center hours of operation and sexual awareness programs.

However, how reliable and accurate are these rankings? By college, everyone knows that it’s safer to use a condom and no amount of education and resources can change that.

Although UM was ranked No. 56 in this questionable study, we should be proud to know that we have moved up from No. 68 in 2009’s Sexual Health Report Card. UM has done an excellent job providing students with plenty of opportunities to ask questions about sex.

For example, UM provides students with “Ask a Sexologist” seminars in Stanford and Hecht Residential Colleges. Also, The Miami Hurricane’s “Dear V” serves as a sexual online resource, giving students the option to submit sexual health questions anonymously rather than going to the health center.

Last year UM’s health center has made efforts to update their Web site to include helpful resources for students and more information about contraception.

Remember, it’s surely not the health center’s responsibility and school’s duty to remind us to use protection. Go to the health center, take advantage of its resources. Despite what a silly annual ranking says, we believe UM’s campus health services and sexual health education programs successfully meet the needs of those who seek them out.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board. Visit www.themiamihurricane.com to read “Trojans Health Report Marks Improvement.”

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...