Culture

Plot moves nowhere in ‘Nowhere Boy’

Courtesy Flickr

“Nowhere Boy” is not a biopic of John Lennon’s life. It is also not about the formation of the Beatles, though that is a forgone conclusion by the end of the film.
“Nowhere Boy” portrays just a brief part of Lennon’s formative years in Liverpool, particularly the struggle between his strict aunt who was his guardian (Kristin Scott Thomas) and his freewheeling mother (Anne-Marie Duff) for his loyalty and love.

Aaron Johnson absolutely smolders as the young Lennon. His charisma is obvious and one would imagine, since he was a contender for the “Spiderman” reboot, that he has a long and impressive career in front of him.

Scott Thomas is phenomenal, which is no surprise,  she does stern better than anyone, and Duff’s performance is impressive in its utter insanity. The ubiquitous British actor David Morrisey is predictably excellent as Lennon’s reluctant stepfather, and Thomas Sangster, having made his lovelorn mark in “Love Actually,” is fantastic if completely physically miscast as a young Paul McCartney.

The main flaw of “Nowhere Boy” is that, for a time, it seems to actually be going nowhere. There is little plot development until the end, when the film progresses beyond the question of which female family member Lennon likes more. Still, though, the performances are uniformly excellent.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

“Nowhere Boy”
Rating: 2.5/4 stars
Starring: Aaron Johnson, Kristin Scott Thomas, Anne-Marie Duff
Directed By: Sam Taylor-Wood

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Frost School of Music’s faculty and staff members and students utilize their talents to help unify t

Rudy Fernandez, senior vice president for public affairs and communications at the University of Mia

Hope is an elusive concept, but it is a crucial feeling to hold on to at a time of crisis. During th

Members of the Muslim Students of the University of Miami celebrate the holy month while adhering to

A University of Miami faculty member offers tips on how to preserve healthy work-life practices as w