The book fair is back

Courtesy of Miami Book Fair International

Now in its 26th year, the Miami Book Fair International will be held this week.

Known by many as one of the nation’s finest literary festivals, the event has become popular with both readers and writers all over South Florida.

The book fair will mainly include  an abundance of books. Along with the written word, visual art will be on display throughout the fair as well. Presented by the Florida Center for the Literary Arts at Miami-Dade College, multiple famous authors and artists will host lectures at the Wolfson Campus in Downtown Miami.

“I am excited to soon be able to see the sculptures,” said sophomore Adriana Ferrari, an art student. “I hope to find modern, innovative art on display.”

Some highlights of the book fair will include the Festival of Authors, The Comix Gallery, Celebrating Mexico, Arts at the Fair, Twilight Tastings, Children’s Alley and the Street Fair.

This year, many notable figures will be visiting the fair, including famed filmmaker John Waters, spoken word performer and musician Patti Smith and author Pat Conroy.

“It will be an honor to see Patti Smith, she is such an important person in the music and literary world,” freshman Shelby Smithey said.

One new event gaining popularity is the Comix Gallery. This area will feature discussions on how significant comics and graphic novels have become in contemporary literature and film. It is a timely topic, as many graphic novels have been adapted into movies in recent years.

“I think it is so cool that they will have graphic novels,” freshman Shimul Gajjar said. “That will appeal to a lot of people.”
The Miami Book Fair International is open to the public. For more information and a detailed schedule, visit miamibookfair.com.

Caroline Helmers may be contacted at chelmers@themiamihurricane.com.

Caroline Helmers

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...