Culture

The book fair is back

Courtesy of Miami Book Fair International

Now in its 26th year, the Miami Book Fair International will be held this week.

Known by many as one of the nation’s finest literary festivals, the event has become popular with both readers and writers all over South Florida.

The book fair will mainly include  an abundance of books. Along with the written word, visual art will be on display throughout the fair as well. Presented by the Florida Center for the Literary Arts at Miami-Dade College, multiple famous authors and artists will host lectures at the Wolfson Campus in Downtown Miami.

“I am excited to soon be able to see the sculptures,” said sophomore Adriana Ferrari, an art student. “I hope to find modern, innovative art on display.”

Some highlights of the book fair will include the Festival of Authors, The Comix Gallery, Celebrating Mexico, Arts at the Fair, Twilight Tastings, Children’s Alley and the Street Fair.

This year, many notable figures will be visiting the fair, including famed filmmaker John Waters, spoken word performer and musician Patti Smith and author Pat Conroy.

“It will be an honor to see Patti Smith, she is such an important person in the music and literary world,” freshman Shelby Smithey said.

One new event gaining popularity is the Comix Gallery. This area will feature discussions on how significant comics and graphic novels have become in contemporary literature and film. It is a timely topic, as many graphic novels have been adapted into movies in recent years.

“I think it is so cool that they will have graphic novels,” freshman Shimul Gajjar said. “That will appeal to a lot of people.”
The Miami Book Fair International is open to the public. For more information and a detailed schedule, visit miamibookfair.com.

Caroline Helmers may be contacted at chelmers@themiamihurricane.com.

Caroline Helmers

Universities are banding together to oppose a new immigration policy that could adversely impact int

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of