Sports briefs 11/15

Cross Country

The men and women’s cross country teams both competed in the NCAA Cross Country South Regional Championships this past Saturday. Freshman Brooke Dovell led the women’s team, running the third-best time in UM history in the 6k race at 21:53.12. Sophomore Greg Kaczka led the men, running the 10k in 32:11.32, the fifth fastest time in school history. The Canes are off until January, when the indoor track season begins in Clemson on January 14.

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami Women’s tennis team took home championships in both the singles and doubles championship of the 2010 Lakewood Ranch Intercollegiate Clay Court Classic on Sunday afternoon. Senior Bianca Eichkorn won the singles title in convincing fashion, defeating Notre Dame’s Chrissie McGaffigan (6-4, 6-1) to notch her second championship of the fall. In doubles, the duo of Gabriela Mejia and Kayla Rizzolo took care of their match against Oklahoma State, winning 8-1. The Canes now turn their attention to the spring season, which kicks off on Jan.21 against Florida Atlantic.

Women’s Basketball

After ending last year with a heartbreaking 73-61 loss to the California Bears in last year’s WNIT championship game, the Canes started off the season with a commanding 93-39 win over Kennesaw State on Friday afternoon. Riquana Williams and Morgan Stroman both recorded a game-high 21 points and both recorded a double-double on the afternoon, along with Shenise Johnson. The Hurricanes will next take on Nebraska on November 17.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com