Basketball

Season opener a hit

Junior guard Malcolm Grant directs the offense midway through the first half. Grant converted on 7 of 12 shot attempts, including four made three pointers. Alex Broadwell//The Miami Hurricane Alex Broadwell // The Miami Hurricane

Trailing at halftime by six points, the Hurricanes stepped it up in the second half and came back to beat Jacksonville, 89-77, a team that advanced to the second round of the NIT last season.
The Canes outscored the Dolphins 47-29 in the second half.
Starting guards, redshirt junior Malcolm Grant and sophomore Durand Scott combined for 43 points and 10 assists.
Grant finished with a career-high 23 points and Scott had 20 points.
Under head coach Frank Haith, the Hurricanes are now 7-0 in season openers.
“A good win for us to open the season,” Haith said. “A hard fought game. Jacksonville played very hard. Our kids were stun-gunned early but obviously we got it going. They came in here and got after us. It was a great game for us.”
Grant was 7 for 12 from the field and hit four three-pointers. He added three steals and four assists in 32 minutes of action.
“We just wanted to come in the mind set that these guys are going to bring it, have nothing to lose,” Grant said. “I think our guys did a really good job, we just started out slow but once we calm down we were successful.”
The Hurricanes trailed 14-3 within the first five minutes of the contest.
Now, the Hurricanes move on to preparing for tonight’s midnight game at No. 19 Memphis, which will kick off ESPN’s College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon. Haith has been having the team practicing later in the evening to get ready for the game.
The game is at 11:59 p.m. on ESPN.
Memphis hasn’t been a strong team since head coach John Calipari left for Kentucky, however Memphis still reached the second round of the NIT last season.
This is a chance for Haith and the Hurricanes to make a bigger name for themselves and the basketball program.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...