Get an old-school trim at Primo’s Barber Shop

(From right to left) Ramon Vasquez, Javier Lopez and Richard Rewin cut hair at Primos Barbershop. Primos was opened by Danny Roblejo three months ago in a shopping center on northbound on US 1. The shop has been having “slow but steady” growth since its opening. Roblejo caters to the men at the University of Miami as well as the rest of the city because he feels that, especially for interviews, men need to look good as they enter the world. Adrianne D'Angelo//Asst Photo Editor

Just off of South Dixie Highway, there is a classic candy stripe barber pole spinning to greet customers. Step inside Primo’s Barber Shop: It is as though Dean Martin and Diddy have gone in to business together.

Manning the ship are cousins Danny Roblejo, a University of Miami alumnus and the President of Primo’s, and Eddie Aja, current UM M.B.A. student and owner of the shop.

When the economy took a turn for the worse and Roblejo found himself without a job, he was inspired to take the plunge into a new business venture with Aja. They discussed many ideas, but one day after leaving a barbershop, the two found themselves looking at a barber franchise online. Roblejo and Aja decided to start their own place.

“We saw an opening in the market for this kind of service,” Roblejo said. “The market had a need for this and so did the modern man.”

The barbershop is designed with a classic style, complete with a checkerboard floor, hearkening back to a simpler time and evoking the past. Maxim, GQ and Sports Illustrated lay around the shop, and an HDTV sits at each station.

The service menu features cuts, hot lather shaves and men’s grooming products. Primo’s Barber Shop aims to take customers back to a time where taking care of how you look was part of being a man.

“Barbering was an art that has been lost,” said Rich Trewan, one of the barbers in the shop. “Guys want to be pampered without going to a salon. Here it’s an elegant, classic place, but still a barbershop. Men are taking care of themselves more, and [Primo’s is] bringing back the old-school feel of how it used to be.”

The experience customers receive during their time at the barbershop is key to Roblejo, as is the task of developing the men that walk through Primo’s doors.

“Presence is important,” Roblejo said. “How you look and feel has to do with grooming. As you prepare for the real world, you need to make those habits.”
MacKenzie Green may be contacted at mgreen@themiamihurricane.com.

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...

Head coach Aljosa Piric announces 2019 fall slate. ...

Miami women's basketball team dominated its final game in Italy by defeating the Venice All Sta ...