Get an old-school trim at Primo’s Barber Shop

(From right to left) Ramon Vasquez, Javier Lopez and Richard Rewin cut hair at Primos Barbershop. Primos was opened by Danny Roblejo three months ago in a shopping center on northbound on US 1. The shop has been having “slow but steady” growth since its opening. Roblejo caters to the men at the University of Miami as well as the rest of the city because he feels that, especially for interviews, men need to look good as they enter the world. Adrianne D'Angelo//Asst Photo Editor

Just off of South Dixie Highway, there is a classic candy stripe barber pole spinning to greet customers. Step inside Primo’s Barber Shop: It is as though Dean Martin and Diddy have gone in to business together.

Manning the ship are cousins Danny Roblejo, a University of Miami alumnus and the President of Primo’s, and Eddie Aja, current UM M.B.A. student and owner of the shop.

When the economy took a turn for the worse and Roblejo found himself without a job, he was inspired to take the plunge into a new business venture with Aja. They discussed many ideas, but one day after leaving a barbershop, the two found themselves looking at a barber franchise online. Roblejo and Aja decided to start their own place.

“We saw an opening in the market for this kind of service,” Roblejo said. “The market had a need for this and so did the modern man.”

The barbershop is designed with a classic style, complete with a checkerboard floor, hearkening back to a simpler time and evoking the past. Maxim, GQ and Sports Illustrated lay around the shop, and an HDTV sits at each station.

The service menu features cuts, hot lather shaves and men’s grooming products. Primo’s Barber Shop aims to take customers back to a time where taking care of how you look was part of being a man.

“Barbering was an art that has been lost,” said Rich Trewan, one of the barbers in the shop. “Guys want to be pampered without going to a salon. Here it’s an elegant, classic place, but still a barbershop. Men are taking care of themselves more, and [Primo’s is] bringing back the old-school feel of how it used to be.”

The experience customers receive during their time at the barbershop is key to Roblejo, as is the task of developing the men that walk through Primo’s doors.

“Presence is important,” Roblejo said. “How you look and feel has to do with grooming. As you prepare for the real world, you need to make those habits.”
MacKenzie Green may be contacted at mgreen@themiamihurricane.com.

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...