Richter on the go, cellular access

Courtesy Cheryl Gowing

The University of Miami Richter Library staff is putting the final touches on a mobile website for students and faculty intended to save its users valuable time.

The site, which is compatible with Internet capable phones, including the most popular iPhone and BlackBerry, will be finished by Thanksgiving.

“Everyone is on their phone all the time and we feel the library is a core service for students and faculty” said Cheryl Gowing, the director of information management and systems at Richter. “This mobile site will provide everyone with the flexibility they need from the library.”

In a generation of tech-savvy youth, the library is doing its best to keep up with the demand for phone applications. Students and staff will be able to search the library database, contact librarians and even check the availability of library computers from their cell phones.

“We can’t optimize our entire website to mobile devices, but it’s reasonable to expect basic information such as hours and library contacts to be easy to access on a phone,” said Scott Britton, the director of access, information and research services. “The site also has a feedback feature, so it should improve and grow based on what we hear from users.”

Melissa Berkowitz, a sophomore and an enthusiastic iPhone user, tested the mobile site.

“I really like the search feature because there is such a wealth of resources, and sometimes it takes hours to physically find what you are looking for,” Berkowitz said.

Mandy Prusak was also pleased with the site as it appeared on her BlackBerry.

“I think it is really convenient that you can see the computer availability as well as use the site to provide feedback”.

Danielle Landau may be contacted at dlandau@themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Landau

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...