Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: “And I should care because..”

Last week when I was sick, everyone seemed too “busy” to notice. Then, I went to a meeting in Overtown, and I mentioned I had a headache. Ms. Jailene, a woman at the meeting, got up to find me some Tylenol. She packed me home-cooked food and checked on me later. She is also busy. She has raised four children on her own and is putting them through college. But she found the time to care because. Overtown is a community we could all learn something from.
Blocks away from Ms. Jailene’s home, the seven-acre University of Miami Life Science Park is being built. It has received almost $100 million in public financing allocated to revitalize low-income areas. Yet, with few construction jobs going to Overtown, residents struggle to understand the long-term benefits of this development. They fear that this biotechnology complex will profit from their community’s poverty only to displace them. And their fear is real.
I care because what is being done to this community is done under my university’s name. I care because I can’t sit back and watch UM exploit a low-income community for public financing. I care because our university could actually deliver real economic opportunities to this community..
Unless we stand up as a student body and say we don’t want this to continue, it will. The residents of Overtown have asked the university to sign an agreement guaranteeing them jobs, educational opportunities and benefits. S.T.A.N.D. (Students Towards A New Democracy) supports an agreement that creates a vision of sustainable change because that is what this public financing was for. You have the power to use your student voice to hold your school accountable- why aren’t you?
E-mail standumiami@gmail.com or visit standuniversityofmiami.org to sign the petition.

Stephanie Sandu is a senior and a member of S.T.A.N.D. Note: For privacy purposes, Ms. Jailene’s name has been changed.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...