Culture

Uncle Kracker cranks beats Thursday

Uncle Kracker is touring to promote his new album, “Happy Hour- The South River Road Sessions,” a six-song follow-up to his 2009 CD “Happy Hour.” He will be perform Thursday night at Round Up Country Western Nightclub. Courtesy Atlantic Records

Heading for yet another Thursday night at ‘Cudas and Tavern? Then try something a little out of the ordinary this week. Uncle Kracker is coming to South Florida this Thursday for an intimate concert at Round Up Country Western Nightclub, which will be sure to “make you smile.”
Uncle Kracker is touring to promote his new album “Happy Hour- The South River Road Sessions.” This CD is a six-song follow-up to his 2009 CD “Happy Hour.”
On this album Uncle Kracker reinterprets some of the songs on “Happy Hour,” including the country version of “Smile,” a top-five country hit, and his new single “Good to be Me,” featuring his good friend Kid Rock.
“I would describe Uncle Kracker’s music as pop-rock, [more] than anything else,” junior Asha Agrawal said. “I like that it is laid back, but still upbeat.”
“Happy Hour” and his new follow-up album both feature country-influenced pop-rock ballads and showcase his talents as a songwriter. These are perfect songs to sway to with a drink in your hand when he performs on the Round Up stage, a private setting that holds a maximum of 1,000 people.
“I have never been to a concert at Round Up before,” junior Genevieve Stack said. “But I think that Uncle Kracker would be a great first act to see.”
If you haven’t heard of Uncle Kracker’s new material, he has definitely changed from his eight-year stint as Kid Rock’s DJ in his Twisted Brown Trucker Band. “Happy Hour” is his second solo album and the first he has put out in five years. The songwriter waited to find just the right sound for his sophomore album.
Round Up night club likes to bring up-and-coming artists to their stage and most of their shows are from September to March or April.
Paul Gumus, a manager at the club, said that it is all about timing and hopes that Uncle Kracker will bring in some new patrons to the country-western entertainment venue.
“So far we’ve had a good response,” Gumus said. “And we will have a good show on Thursday.”

Nancy Oben may be contacted at noben@themiamihurricane.com.

If you Go:

WHAT: Uncle Kracker, performing at Round Up Country Western Nightclub

WHEN: Nov. 11. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the concert begins at 9 p.m.

WHERE: 9020 W. State Road 84, Davie (SW Corner of Pine Island Road and Interstate 595)

COST: Tickets are $20 in advance (Roundupcountry.com) and $25 at the door

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of

University of Miami Libraries has launched Documenting COVID-19: South Florida’s Pandemic Experience