Football

Fresh blood from fourth string kick-starts team

True freshman quarterback Stephen Morris faces the media after the Miami Hurricanes’ comeback win against the Maryland Terrapins Saturday afternoon. Morris started his first game for the Hurricanes because junior Jacory Harris had a concussion. Daniel Osiason//The Miami Hurricane

After hearing the crowd erupt, true freshman Stephen Morris lay on his back on the turf with his arms raised over his head, knowing he had thrown the game-winning touchdown. Morris then got up and ran down the field to celebrate with his teammates in the end zone.
With three minutes remaining in the game, the Hurricanes’ season was on life support, but Morris breathed life back into the program.
In his first collegiate start, Morris filled in for junior quarterback Jacory Harris, who is recovering from a concussion, and led the Canes (6-3, 4-2) on an 82-yard decisive drive in the final minutes to defeat the Maryland Terrapins (6-3, 3-2) 26-20 at Sun Life Stadium.
On the drive, Morris completed every pass (4-4) and converted on a third-and-11 situation with a 16-yard scramble. On the next play, Morris connected with senior receiver Leonard Hankerson on a 35-yard touchdown. The toss hit Hankerson in stride over two defenders.
“Coach [Mark] Whipple called the right play,” Morris said to  the Miami Sports Information Department. “I knew when he called it, the play would work. The rest [is]just Hank doing what he does best.”
Hankerson caught his 10th touchdown pass of the season and is one shy of tying Michael Irving for the single season record. Hankerson admired Morris’ composure and poise.
With the win, the Hurricanes became bowl eligible for the third straight year under head coach Randy Shannon.
“A big win today, huge for us to be bowl eligible,” Shannon said. “I thought it was tremendous effort from everybody on the football team.”
Statistically, the Hurricanes’ offense had their best game of the season. Miami racked in 504 total yards and controlled the ball for nearly 37 minutes. The Hurricanes came full force in the run game to help out Morris as Miami had 218 yards rushing.
Redshirt freshman Lamar Miller made his first career start as well. He didn’t disappoint, and had 125 rushing yards, one touchdown and a two-point conversion. Miller’s 125 yards rushing were the most run by a freshman since Javarris James set the school record with 148 yards in 2006.
Now, the Hurricanes will travel to Atlanta, Ga. to face the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. The last time the Hurricanes played in Atlanta, the Yellow Jackets ran all over the Canes for 472 rushing yards, the second highest total ever allowed by the Canes.
The Canes can still win the coastal division if they beat GT and Virginia Tech. Miami also needs Virginia Tech to slip up against either North Carolina or Virginia.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...