“A Film Unfinished” graphic but thought-provoking

Most people’s first experiences with the Holocaust came via Steven Spielberg or Roman Polanski with “Schindler’s List” or “The Pianist,” both stunningly good films in their own right. But still, those are true stories merely dramatized for Hollywood.

“A Film Unfinished” presents a different view of the Holocaust: real documentary footage recently uncovered in German archives after nearly fifty years. There is something incredibly unsettling about seeing real victims on film because the sickening reality remains that many probably did not survive 1945.

“A Film Unfinished” features documentary footage intended for a Nazi propaganda film that would portray the Warsaw Ghetto, notorious in history for its rampant diseases and cramped conditions, as a place of privilege and luxury, a place where Jews were lucky to be.

Also featured are reenactments of an interview with one of the German cameramen and reactions of Jewish survivors of the ghetto, many of whom watch through shut eyes as they fear seeing someone they once knew. The footage is dehumanizing yet utterly personal and far more effective than any Hollywood film could ever be.

Nothing in the film is particularly groundbreaking but somehow it is worse when compared to seeing scenes from a Hollywood film like “The Pianist” or “Schindler’s List.”

“A Film Unfinished” is not for the faint of heart as it is very graphic and at times sickening, but its importance as a historical record far outweighs the disturbing aspects of the film. It is a must-see for both the World War II expert and the historical neophyte.
Rating: 3/4 stars

Directed By: Yael Hersonski

MPAA Rating: Unrated

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...