Soccer

Last-minute losses

The University of Miami women’s soccer team began its tough weekend on the road falling 1-0 against No. 11 Boston College in a tough double-overtime loss on Thursday night.

The Eagles dominated the game, outshooting the Hurricanes 22-8 in the game, though Miami gained momentum as the game progressed.

Six of the Hurricanes’ shots came in the last 10 minutes of regulation and overtime.

Junior keeper Vikki Alonzo had one of the best games of her career, recording nine saves, including saves on two Eagle penalty kicks.

The Hurricanes had their best chance at a goal in the 81st minute, when a shot by senior Brittney Steinbruch hit the Eagles’ post.

On Sunday, Miami traveled to College Park to face No. 3 Maryland and lost another close game, 2-1.

The Terps got on the scoreboard quickly with a goal just four minutes into the game by Danielle Hupka.

Freshman Tara Schwitter countered as she gave life to the Hurricanes, recording her third goal of the season in the 46th minute.

In the 75th minute, Lyda Hastings finished off the game with a header off a pass by Skyy Anderson to make the final score 2-1.

This time, it was the Terps goalie Yewande Balogun who aided Maryland to victory, recording five saves in the game as the Canes put up a solid effort on the road.

With the loss and a commanding 4-0 Virginia Tech victory over North Carolina State, the Hurricanes finished the season ranked ninth in the conference and miss out on the ACC Tournament.

Disqualification from the ACC Tournament does not eliminate the Hurricanes from contention in the NCAA Tournament, considering the tough schedule of the conference, which includes three teams ranked in the top 10 (UNC, BC, UVA).

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...