Digital textbooks are not so popular

In this digital age, we are constantly texting, typing away on our computers and e-mailing through our phones. Technology has taken over our lives and we are attached to it.

For a generation that is the most technology adept in history, one would assume that we would enjoy the idea of having our books on a Kindle, Nook, iPad or other device.

According to the recent study by the Student Public Interest Research Groups,  however, three-quarters of the students surveyed said they still prefer a traditional print book to an e-book. Additionally, The National Association of College said that digital books currently make up about three percent of textbook sales.

So, why is it that we won’t let go of the good old fashioned heavy textbooks? After all, textbooks are expensive- a semester’s worth of textbooks can cost up to $900. Nevertheless, we continue to buy and rent used and new textbooks from Internet book retailers such as Amazon, Textbooks.com and Chegg.com. Digital reading did not stop our very own University of Miami Bookstore from launching a book rental program this year.

Perhaps we are not ready for digital reading because we have grown up using print books. We are not ready to give up the benefit of highlighting passages, flipping pages and writing little notes in the book itself.

Although new technology gives students the ability to use e-textbooks this way, there are still plenty of drawbacks in using it.

Not only does the computer screen exhaust our eyes, but it can distract us from doing our work. We are tempted to check our e-mail, log on to Facebook and surf the Web. In general, we spend enough time on our laptops and cell phones. So why not get away from this unhealthy technology addiction by reading an actual bound book?

More importantly, what if a virus gets into your computer? What if the screen goes blank and all your notes are deleted? The battery could die, the server could go out and carrying that bulky equipment could become absolutely obnoxious.

Even if more books are made available as e-books, it will not be the same as reading, studying and learning from an actual print book. With a paperback book, it is easy. You can carry it with you and read wherever, whenever.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...