Celebrating 25 years at UM

E! News, The Miami Herald and Millionaire Matchmaker are all home to some of the most successful alumni of the University of Miami. To commemorate its success over the years, the School of Communication is preparing to celebrate its 25th anniversary.

With about 400 students, primarily studying broadcasting or motion pictures, the School of Communication was established in 1985 under the leadership of its first dean, Edward J. Pfister.

According to Dr. Mitchell Shapiro, a full-time professor and current director of honors in the School of Communication, students were scattered across the Coral Gables campus and were limited in resources. Outdated manual typewriters were used and only two TV studios were available, one of which was not part of the school, but was controlled by the support unit, Communication Services.

“All in all, it was a great place to be. It was like a family,” Shapiro said. “We all had to pitch in and make our limited resources go much further than anyone expected we could. The fact that we have come so far, in so short a period of time, is truly an amazing success story.”

The school’s success is represented not only through notable alumni such as Patti Stanger, Jason Kennedy and Lilia Luciano, but through the development of its facilities.

In 2001, the completion of the Frances L. Wolfson Building provided the first central location for all students and faculty of the School of Communication. The International Building, the school’s annex to the Wolfson Building, was completed in 2007.

“I am looking forward for more years to come at the communication school, and I am very grateful for all the opportunities that professors and faculty have provided,” said sophomore Christian Diego, a motion pictures major in the School of Communication.

The 25th anniversary marks the transition of a small, growing institution into a global leader in the progression of communication.

In his final year as dean of the school, Dr. Sam Grogg is proud of the global impact that students have made.

“There is no doubt that our school is among the leading institutions of its kind.  In many ways the School is incomparable- it sits in a very special university with a diversity and global point of view that is unmatched,” Grogg said.

The celebration of the School of Communication’s 25th anniversary will take place during alumni weekend, beginning Nov. 3.

Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

INFO BOX

Friday, Oct. 5

1:30 p.m.                 Miami Hurricane alumni meet in SOC courtyard

1:45 – 2:30 p.m.       Tour the School of Communication

2:30 – 3:00 p.m.      Pre-panel coffee and treats on the Bill Cosford Cinema patio

3:00-4:00 p.m.         Panel discussion

4:00 -6:00 p.m.       SOC cookout

7:00P-8:00 p.m.     Hurricane Howl featuring parade, pep rally, boat burning, fireworks and concert – Coral Gables Campus

8:00P – 11:00 p.m.  Alumni Avenue featuring food, drink and much more (additional ticket purchase required)

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...