Ladies Night cast knows laughter is best medicine

Courtesy Carlos Rivera

What do you get when you put seven women on stage with a microphone? No, not a drunken karaoke night with friends.Try a night full of laughs for a great cause, presented by Just the Funny Improv Comedy Theatre. A special show, “Ladies Night: Comedy for a Cure,” will be performed by an all-female cast of talented comedians, in support of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The Floridian comedy group will be doing improvisational skits with a “Whose Line is it Anyway” or “Wild-n-Out” feel. You never know what is going to be said or done on stage, and don’t be surprised if you get pulled on stage to participate in one of the skits.

Half of the ticket proceeds will benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure. As the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists, the Komen charity works to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures. In addition, it has collected the largest source of non-profit funds over the years.

“As personal as this disease is, I think it is a perfect strategy to attack the cancer with humor. This event seems to take a positive look at the strength of women beating the cancer which should always be kept in mind,” junior Genevieve Stack said.

Stack is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha, a UM sorority that specifically supports breast cancer education and awareness through various philanthropic events.

“It is great that there are so many events in October that raise awareness and money, especially when these events reach out to different people,” she said.

So what can you expect to get from this show?

“We are donating live entertainment,” said managing director of Just the Funny Improv Comedy Theatre, Carlos Rivera. “It will be very interactive. All the ideas will come to life on stage.”

Olivia Woolbright may be contacted at owoolbright@themiamihurricane.com

IF YOU GO:

When: Friday, Oct. 29 at 9 p.m.

Where: Just the Funny theatre, 3119 SW 22 St. Miami, FL 33145 (3 minutes east of Miracle Mile).

Cost: $10 per person. Tickets can be purchased online at www.justthefunny.com or at the theatre.

NOTE: The Just the Funny theatre holds different shows the first weekend of every month. For more information, call 305-693-8669.

Olivia Woolbright

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...