Ladies Night cast knows laughter is best medicine

Courtesy Carlos Rivera

What do you get when you put seven women on stage with a microphone? No, not a drunken karaoke night with friends.Try a night full of laughs for a great cause, presented by Just the Funny Improv Comedy Theatre. A special show, “Ladies Night: Comedy for a Cure,” will be performed by an all-female cast of talented comedians, in support of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The Floridian comedy group will be doing improvisational skits with a “Whose Line is it Anyway” or “Wild-n-Out” feel. You never know what is going to be said or done on stage, and don’t be surprised if you get pulled on stage to participate in one of the skits.

Half of the ticket proceeds will benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure. As the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists, the Komen charity works to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures. In addition, it has collected the largest source of non-profit funds over the years.

“As personal as this disease is, I think it is a perfect strategy to attack the cancer with humor. This event seems to take a positive look at the strength of women beating the cancer which should always be kept in mind,” junior Genevieve Stack said.

Stack is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha, a UM sorority that specifically supports breast cancer education and awareness through various philanthropic events.

“It is great that there are so many events in October that raise awareness and money, especially when these events reach out to different people,” she said.

So what can you expect to get from this show?

“We are donating live entertainment,” said managing director of Just the Funny Improv Comedy Theatre, Carlos Rivera. “It will be very interactive. All the ideas will come to life on stage.”

Olivia Woolbright may be contacted at owoolbright@themiamihurricane.com

IF YOU GO:

When: Friday, Oct. 29 at 9 p.m.

Where: Just the Funny theatre, 3119 SW 22 St. Miami, FL 33145 (3 minutes east of Miracle Mile).

Cost: $10 per person. Tickets can be purchased online at www.justthefunny.com or at the theatre.

NOTE: The Just the Funny theatre holds different shows the first weekend of every month. For more information, call 305-693-8669.

Olivia Woolbright

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

Hurricanes standouts Mykea Gray and Beatrice Mompremier have the opportunity of a lifetime this week ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba, the reigning NCAA singles champion, opens the 2019-20 season ranked second i ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...

The Hurricanes opened their five-game homestand on Saturday with a big win over Bethune-Cookman and, ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was named ACC Rookie of the Week a ...