“Buried,” a success against all odds

Courtesy Lion's Gate

If you could apply the word “tense” to just one movie this year, I think you would be hard pressed to find one more cringe-worthy, than “Buried.”

Ryan Reynolds stars as Paul Conroy, an American contractor working in Iraq. After his convoy is attacked, he wakes up in a wooden coffin with just a cell phone and a lighter. But surprisingly, these two elements are enough to craft a whole movie around…and a damn good one at that.

The film opens with a pitch-black screen. For a good 10 seconds you hear no noise at all. But then you start to hear breathing, which escalates to a muffled panic, to straight up screaming and thrashing. Brilliantly, you are made to feel exactly how Reynolds feels: If he can’t see, you can’t see.

It is not until he finds the lighter that you are visually brought into his situation. And after only 10 minutes in, I found myself stretching my legs, just to remind myself that I could. My friend turned over to me and said, “I feel like I can’t breathe.” Getting jittery yet?

Yes, the entire movie takes place in the coffin. No, there are no flashbacks. No, there are no cutaways. If the filmmakers wanted to, they easily could have incorporated that. But director Rodrigo Cortes and screenwriter Chris Sparling had a film experiment in mind, one that they successfully pull off against all odds.

I don’t care if this isn’t the type of movie that the Academy recognizes…Reynolds deserves a Best Actor nomination this year. He manages to carry the entire movie by himself, while never overacting in a situation where it would have been extremely easy to do so.

Admittedly there were times when the film started to feel repetitive and I got the smallest bit annoyed…but I forgave it this, because, well…who wouldn’t be screaming and banging senselessly against the box if they found themselves buried underground?

Rating: 3/4 stars

Directed by: Rodrigo Cortes

Starring: Ryan Reynolds

MPAA Rating: R

Lauren Cohen

Contributing Edge Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...