Breaking down Greek brotherhood

I see the perks in joining a frat: partying, stumbling across some good people and meeting more women. But I don’t see the value in pretending to be friendly with “brothers” I’m not particularly fond of, just because they’re under the same roof and sign semester checks to the same recipient. Also, chill out on the brotherhood.

You aren’t Morgan Freeman in “Wanted” talking about a fraternity of assassins or anything of comparable coolness- it’s a bunch of dudes drinking beer and talking about boobies all day, which I can’t fault people for, but I’d rather do that for free. Also, the word brother needs to be addressed. I rarely call my biological brother “bro,” so I can’t see how people can toss around the word around so lightly with some people who are merely acquaintances and would gladly stab you in the back.

And as for identifying with a fraternity, why is it every time I meet someone in a Greek-related party, that’s the first question they ask? Is it really that interesting if I rushed for frat X and became one of them? If you must know, I’m a GDI opening up a local chapter for Sigma Mu Delta (if you catch my drift) so don’t pigeonhole me as a gentleman or a meathead- I am neither.

Most of all, I don’t understand how people live with each other in mass for so long. The maximum capacity of people that I’m willing to live with (for members of the same sex) caps at about three or four, and even then that’s sometimes too much. I like to keep ultimate debauchery out of my place of residence for the most part to eliminate the necessity of next day’s hung-over cleanup. I also don’t get much gratification from being around the smell of BO and day-old booze. I’m not blind to the benefits, though: networking seems huge, and keeping busy is a good way to prevent going stir crazy.

I can’t help but raise an eye, however, because when I was going through the process of rush, the recruiter told me that someone in the room is definitively going to be the best man at my wedding one day. You don’t decide who becomes one of my cronies, only I do. And who said I’m getting married?

Evan Seaman is a senior majoring in marketing. He may be contacted at eseaman@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Seaman

Contributing Columnist

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...