Sports briefs 10/25

Men’s Tennis

Senior Carl Sundberg and junior Santiago Nieto recorded wins for the Hurricanes on Saturday afternoon as the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s Regional Championship came to a close at the University of Florida. Sundberg, who is ranked 96 in the nation, won his third game in his last four on Sat in consolation play, and Nieto was able to pick up his fourth win in his last five contests as well. The Hurricanes are off until Nov. 4, when they travel to New York to compete at the National Collegiate Indoor Championship.

Swimming & Diving

The Hurricanes Swimming & Diving team went 1-1 this weekend after taking on both Florida Gulf Coast University and Florida State University this Saturday at Tallahassee. The Canes defeated the Eagles, 174-126 but were unable to come away with the win against the Seminoles, falling 179.5-120.5. The Canes have a week off before traveling to Houston to take on both Rice University and the University of Houston starting on Nov. 5.

Baseball

Former Hurricanes Pat Burrell and Aubrey Huff are on their way to the World Series after the San Francisco Giants eliminated the defending National League Champion Philadelphia Phillis on Saturday night, 3-2. The Giants will take on the American League Champion Texas Rangers on Wednesday night.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...