Poem turned into beautiful, heartfelt film

Courtesy Oscilloscope

Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman’s film “Howl” is based on Allen Ginsberg’s seminal and potentially unlawful diatribe against the state of society in the 1950s.

The poem by the same name was written in three parts, as is the film. They include a biopic of Ginsberg (a stunning James Franco); a legal drama regarding the obscenity lawsuit brought against the poem’s publisher, Lawrence Ferlinghetti; and an illustrated version of the work itself, perhaps the most epic poem since Homer’s “Odyssey.”

Franco absolutely nails Ginsberg. His characterization is flawless, despite looking nothing like the author, and Jon Hamm and David Strathairn are fantastic in the roles of opposing counsel in the obscenity trial. Bob Balaban is notably understated as the trial’s judge, and Mary-Louise Parker and Jeff Daniels’ brief cameos as witnesses for the prosecution are high points.

Much can be said about the illustrations accompanying Franco’s recitation of “Howl;” they are as literal as can be, but it is a shrewd choice as many audience members may not have been exposed to the poem before.

The film’s most egregious flaw comes with its pacing. It is inexplicably slow at times, particularly during the reading of the poem, but it never manages to become truly dull.

The sheer intensity of the performances easily compensates for any lackluster pacing, and dramatization of the obscenity trial is staggering, not only for the actors participating but for the importance of the outcome.

“Howl” has its flaws, but they are not insurmountable.

It is a beautiful, heartfelt film.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Released: Oct. 22

Starring: James Franco, David Strathairn, Jon Hamm

Directed By: Rob Epstein, Jeffrey Friedman

MPAA Rating: Unrated

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...